CREDENTIALS & ACCOMPLISHMENTS
and testimonials here.
SERVICES & RESOURCES
- American Translators Association (ATA) Certified English-Chinese translator since Year 2000 (ATA Certificate).
- Worked up to Ph.D. in China and started a new Ph.D. program in the US and obtained my degree there.
3,450+ translation and interpreting projects completed with 100+ days of on-site interpretation since 1995.
- Over 17 years of experience (12 years of full time) in translation and interpreting in the US，plus 7 years of translation and interpreting service in China before 1986 when I came to the US.
- Strong scientific and technical background with B.S. from University of Science and Technology of China, M.S. and Ph.D. candidacy from Chinese Academy of Sciences, and Ph.D. from University of Missouri.
- Lifetime Member, Translators Association of China (Merit-based admission, not fee-based. TAC Certificate).
- Overseas guest member of Editorial Board, The World of English《英语世界》海外特邀编委 - the largest bilingual English learning journal for college and high school students in China.
- Published a bilingual translation sample (英汉对照翻译范文 - Click here to view) in Chinese Translators Journal《中国翻译》in 1996 for aspiring young translators to study.
- Published approximately 30 research papers in both English and Chinese.
- Immaculate business integrity - worked with some of my clients since 1995 when I started commercial services in the US.
- You can view: A Partial Client List, Some Sample Translations
- DTP: InDesign, FrameMaker, PageMaker, QuarkXPressand PowerPoint.
- Graphics: Illustrator, PhotoShop, Corel Draw, AutoCAD and Flash.
- Translation: TRADOS, Déjà vu, Office 2003 Pro with Proofing Tool, Office 2007 Pro.
- Localization: CATALYST, RoboHelp Office, IIDS and WebWorks Pro.
- Voice Over: Studio quality audio for CD promotion or online multimedia project.
- PC: Windows 7 Pro 64 and Windows Vista Business 32.
- High speed Internet connection and FTP server for effective transfer of large files.
TRANSLATION EXPERIENCE - More than 12,000,000 words translated in 17 years.
English Into Chinese
Chinese Into English
- Medical & Biomedical
- Worked at Mallinckcrodt Medical Company's R&D department as a drug analytical chemist. Used HPLC, GC, CE (capillary electrophoresis) in my daily work for the separation and purification of pharmaceutical ingredients; served as Chinese Team Leader on a large medical project (250,000+ words) for GE Medical Systems; Also independently translated several manuals of bedside monitoring instruments for GE Medical Systems and Spacelabs Medical, Inc.; translated many instruction booklets of medical and pharmaceutical products for Merck, Bayer, Bristol Myers Squibb, Solvay Pharmaceuticals, Idenix Pharmaceuticals, Johnson & Johnson, GlaxoSmithKline, Chiron, Amgen and Centocor, and a 150-page glossary for Sigma Chemical Company (6,500+ fine chemical names, most names are 2 lines in length). Also translated several dozen patient Informed Consent Forms (ICF) for many Hospitals and medical centers across US and Canada. Translated two license examinations (420 problems) for National Commission for the Certification of Acupuncturists. People who pass these two examinations will be licensed to practice acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TMC) in the US.
- Legal & Patents - Translated or reviewed more than 300 patents in pharmaceutical, medical, chemical and electronics areas, including over 180 patents for sanofi-aventis alone. Translated several copyright and intellectual property documents for US Patent and Trademark Office, dozens of complaints and counterclaims in civil cases and other legal documents for law offices of Smith & Smith in Beverly Hills, Sprung Horn Kramer & Woods in New York, Sidley & Austin in Dallas, and many patents, software and career certification agreements for Cisco, Sun, Intel and others, as well as a few dissolution of marriage documents.
- IT & Technical
- Translated dozens of product installation, maintenance and operation manuals and MSDS data sheets; many software string files and manuals at Intel, several professional certification examinations for Intel and Sun Microsystems, a concise PageMaker user's manual for Adobe Systems, a 1200 term computer graphic glossary for Silicon Graphics, a software warranty manual for Cisco Systems, several volumes of Engineering Journals for Maxim Integrated Products, and several issues of company newsletters for Flextronics International and Chiron Corporation.
- Business & Financial - Translated a 50,000+ word booklet into html for Web publishing for The Wall Street Journal, several IPO registration statements and prospectuses, several company annual reports, more than a thousand PowerPoint training slides, international loan agreements, credit enhancement procedure documents, joint venture contracts, technical transfer agreements, many company survey questionnaires and business letters, and several hundreds of business cards for Sun, HP, Cisco, Ford, Boeing, Agilent and National Semiconductor.
- Nuclear Science
- Translated or reviewed more than a thousand PowerPoint slides in nuclear sciences for Los Alamos National Laboratory and Oak Ridge National Laboratory for their workshop of nuclear safety for delegations from Chinese research Institutes or nuclear Power plants. The most recent batch of files was for Oak Ridge National Laboratory's workshop for Sichuan Institute of Atomic Energy.
My translation career actually started with Chinese into English translation when I entered a Master's program in 1979 at Institute of Geochemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences where I translated many abstracts of research papers and presentations for my advisors and other professors. The abstracts were prepared to be published in proceedings of international conferences and the presentations, delivered at the conferences. Those early works proved to be both challenging and rewarding as they provided excellent training for me as a translator.
- IT & Technical - Translated a telecommunication standard in Traditional Chinese from Taiwan Telecommunication Authority for a European company, a networking equipment testing document for 3Com and several academic journal articles.
- Medical & Biomedical - Translated many medical records, several new drug application documents for filing with the FDA for a pharmaceutical company and several Traditional Chinese Medicine (TMC) documents, including one research paper of 16,000+ Chinese characters. This particular article is an extensive account of Ginger as a medicinal plant and its biomedical research results and is full of classical Chinese medical quotes from doctors who lived in eras from the Tang Dynasty (more than 1,000 years ago) to the Qing Dynasty. Several translators turned down the job due to the difficulty of the archaic language. One took on the job but only to quit after translating more than 8,000 characters. I accepted and completed the project in time for delivery with high quality. Here is an email from the project manager: "I thought you would be interested to know that your translation has been through editing and word processing here and gone to the client. Our staff editor for this job (native English speaker) and proofreader (native Chinese speaker) both send you their compliments for doing such a good job on an obviously difficult project."
- Legal & Patents - Translated several dozens of Chinese patents, Chinese National Standards, articles from Chinese medical and pharmaceutical journals in the past. Also translated 200 pages trial material for US Department of Justice's Anti-Trust Divison as well as various business agreements for joint ventures and multinational corporations operating in China.
Business & Financial - IPO and new issue prospectuses, company annual reports, new releases, news letters and business correspondences.
- Software Localization - Localized many software packages for Intel Corporation, including Intel Server
Control (ISC), Yangtze Web TV, Timna, CoosBay, Bauhaus, BOYE, IBL Saginaw, Intel Secret, Lindon, Ultra ATA, etc. Was solely responsible for the localization and update of ISC, which is a large software package, from V2.1 through V3.0. This project included the translation of user interface and help files, help file compiling, dialog resizing and bug fixing. Also localized six help files for Toro golf course watering control system, a sales, production and inventory management database program and several technical and geographical glossaries for incorporation into various software programs.
- Website Localization
- Translated many web site materials for Intel and other clients. Also localized Sigmun Cohn Corp website, Cafe Silica site for American IC Exchange. Maintained a bilingual website at: www.asiana.com since late 1996. I designed the site and provided the content all by myself. Please visit the site for more information about my services.
INTERPRETING EXPERIENCE - More than 100 day on-site interpreting service at client companies.
- Interpreting (09/2008) for Shanghai PowerEagle International Co. Ltd. at InterBike Show, Las Vegas, Nevada
- Interpreting (09/2008) for business sessions for PowerGenix, San Diego, California
- Sight interpreting (06/2007) for Madagascar Petroleum International Ltd. (Hong Kong) with Netherland, Sersse and Associates, Inc. in Dallas, Texas
- Consecutive interpreting and moderating (04/2007) for Microsoft (China) training sessions in Beijing with Relationship360 Group, LLC in Santa Barbara, California
During the interpretation, Mr. Henry Li, Director Business Management, Small and Midmarket Solutions & Partners, Greater China Region, who hired us, commented several times to the US trainers that my interpreting was "quick and accurate". Henry is a Chinese American and was sent to Microsoft China from Redmond.
- Consecutive and sight interpreting (03-04/2007) for Sino Union Petroleum & Chemical Int'l Ltd. of Hong Kong with Netherland, Sersse and Associates, Inc., in Dallas, Texas
- Simultaneous interpreting (09/2006) with Ernst & Young at an enterprise risk management (ERM) conference for a delegation of State-owned enterprise groups led by the State-owned Assets Supervision and Administration Commission (SASAC) of China - Los Angeles, California
- Court Deposition (05/2006) with Law Office of Allen Hyman on a copyright infringement case - North Hollywood, California
- Consecutive Interpreting (10/2005, a week) for European Union inspection of a pharmaceutical plant in Tianjin, China.
After the inspection, EU chief inspector told me: "Now I know a competent pharmaceutical interpreter. You are part of the reason that I have such a good impression of China."
- Consecutive Interpreting (09/2005, a week) for Kwizda Pharma of Austria at a plant in Tianjin, China.
After the work is completed, Mr. Schneider, Head of Regulartory Affairs of Kwizda wrote me and said, "We really respect your professionalism very much."
- Consecutive interpreting (07/2005) for Cisco Systems corporate diversity training - Irvine, California
- Court Deposition (06/2005) with Lambert & Rogers, San Diego in a civil case - Santa Ana, California
- Court Deposition (05/2005) with Nelson Mullins of Columbia, SC in a trade mark infringement case - Minneapolis
- Consecutive interpreting (05/2005) for Linksys business session - Irvine, California
- Sight interpreting (04/2005) of legal and patent materials with O'Melveny & Myers - Los Angeles
- General Atomics's reception (02/2005) of a delegation from People's Daily headed by Vice President Zhu Xinmin - San Diego.
During the interpretation, Mr. Zhu stopped me and asked, "How long have you been in the US? How come your Chinese is still so good?" I told him I had been in the US for nearly 19 years.
- Court deposition (11/2004) with Kirkland & Ellis in a patent infringement case between two TV manufacturers - Los Angeles
- Simultaneous interpretation (07/2003) for ExxonMobil in Houston, Texas
- Court deposition (08/2002) in a patent infringement case between two major computer peripheral manufacturers - Houston
- Court deposition (04/2001) in a patent infringement case between two chipset manufacturers - Hsinchu, Taiwan
- Simultaneous interpretation (07/2000) at an International Conference on Geological Depository of Nuclear Wastes
sponsored by the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) and US Department of Energy - Denver
- Simultaneous conference interpretation (11/1996) for Amway Corporation annual meeting - Ada, Michigan
- Consecutive interpreting (06/1985) for Prof. M. E. Lipschutz, Department of Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Purdue University
- Interpreting (08/1084) for Prof. F. Begemann, Max-Planck Institute of Chemistry, Mainz, Germany
- Interpreting (1983-1986) for foreign business delegations and Chinese corporate executives on joint venture projects in China.
||Full-time freelance translator and interpreter.
||Intel Corporation, Translation and Localization Department, Chinese linguist and localization specialist. Localized many software packages, including Intel Server Control (ISC), Yangtze Web TV, Timna, CoosBay, Bauhaus, BOYE, IBL Saginaw, Intel Secret, Lindon, Ultra ATA, etc. Was solely responsible for the localization and update of ISC, which is a large software package (60+ files with nearly 50,000 words), from V2.1 through V3.0. Most projects include the localization of user interface and help files, help file compiling, dialog resizing and bug fixing.
||Department of Earth Sciences and Lunar and Planetary Laboratory - University of Arizona, Senior Research Specialist and Manager of Noble Gas Mass Spectrometer Laboratory. Responsible for maintenance of two mass spectrometers and training of graduate students who came to the lab to complete their thesis or dissertation experiments. Those mass spectrometers were highly sophisticated electronic instruments and cost half a million dollars apiece. We used them for the determination of isotopes (for example, O16 and O18 for Oxygen) in meteorites, lunar and terrestrial samples. This position gave me valuable experience in electronic instrument troubleshooting and the construction and maintenance of an ultra-high vacuum system (10-9 torr or mmHg, compared with atmospheric pressure of 760 torr).
||Mallinckrodt Medical Company, R&D Department, Drug Analytical Chemist. Method development and analysis of drug components (for example, chondroitin from shark cartilage) using High Performance Liquid Chromatography (HPLC), Gas Chromatography (GC), Capillary Electrophoresis (CE), and Liquid Chromatography-Mass Spectrometry (LC-MS).
||Assistant Professor, Institute of Geochemistry,
Academia Sinica, Guiyang, China
- Ph.D. (1993), Analytical Chemistry with computer science minor, University of Missouri-Rolla
- Ph.D. Candidate (1984), Institute of Geochemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- M.S. (1982), Nuclear Geochemistry, Institute of Geochemistry, Chinese Academy of Sciences
- B.S. (1979), Isotope Geochemistry, University of Science and Technology of China